Because spiralisers make pre-schoolers want to eat zucchini.
Faff Factor: 3.5/5 * Flavour 4/5 * Fridge to Face: 30 mins
Recipe adapted from Chicken Zoodle Pho ‘It’s All Easy’ – Gwyneth Paltrow
8 cups veggie or chicken stock OR 1 bag frozen chicken carcass & veggie peelings (onions, floppy celery, carrot tops etc)
*optional – 1 chicken breast
12 sprigs cilantro
2 thumb size piece of ginger, sliced
6 cloves garlic, smashed
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
1/2 med onion, thinly sliced (mandolin works well here)
Juice of 1 lime
2 zucchini spiralized
1 small head of broccoli
1. Put chicken bones & veggie peelings in a big pot with approx 8 cups water. (Or simply 8 cups of chosen stock). Add cilantro, ginger, garlic & a big pinch of salt & bring to a boil. Add chicken breast if using. Lower heat and simmer for 10 – 15 minutes.
2. While soup is simmering, spiralize zucchini, thinly slice onion, and chop broccoli into florets.
3. Pour soup through colander into a big bowl to get rid of all the bits. Pour liquid back into soup pot. Take out chicken breast and shred.
4. Empty colander and put in broccoli & zoodles. Lower into soup pan and let blanch for a couple of minutes.
5. Assemble your bowls with zoodles, broccoli, onion slices, shredded chicken etc (I also add sprouts, chopped toasted almonds or cashews, sliced jalapeños, chopped cilantro).
6. Add maple syrup & tamari to broth. Salt to taste. Spoon over veggies.
– Use veggie stock to make vegan.
– Great topped with grilled avocado, fried / poached egg, or roasted tofu instead of chicken.
– Sub in grilled asparagus, baby bok choi, snap peas, mange tout, shredded cabbage, bean sprouts, spiralized carrots, sweet corn kernels etc
Faff notes: Pre-made stock or bouillon work brilliantly with this recipe, but I love the flavour of stock made with chicken leftovers. I get everything else chopped and ready to dunk while the broth simmers.
Flavour notes: Great recipe for subbing in whichever veggies your wee one is eating (this week), also for using up veggie bits and pieces from the fridge.